Kinds of Pilgrimage
1- The Pleasure [Tamattoa’] Pilgrimage: It is the duty of the one whose home is about 90 km far away from Blessed Makka.
2- The Connection [Kiran] Pilgrimage
3- The Seclusion [Ifrad] Pilgrimage
2 and 3 are the duties of the one whose home is in Blessed Makka or is less far than the above mentioned distance.
The Pleasure Pilgrimage
If you are doctrinally capable of pilgrimage and if your home is about 90 km far away from Blessed Makka, then your duty is the pleasure pilgrimage which is made up of two parts:
1- The Pleasure Minor Pilgrimage [Omra]
2- The Pleasure Pilgrimage
The Pleasure Minor Pilgrimage
The Deeds of the Pleasure Minor Pilgrimage
1- Getting in the State of Ritual Consecration
3- The Circumambulation Prayer
4- Moving between Al-Safa and AL-Marwa
Time of Performing the Pleasure Minor Pilgrimage
Perform it during the period extending from Shawwal 1st till before the noon of Thou Al-Houjja 9th, so that you will finish its deeds and be able to:
- get in the state of ritual consecration for the pleasure pilgrimage
- be present in Arafat at the noon of Thou Al-Houjja 9th
Place of Performing the Pleasure Minor Pilgrimage
Getting in the state of ritual consecration takes place in one of the five places of ihram:
1- The Tree Mosque
3- Wadi Al-Akeek
5- Karn Al-Manazel
- Circumambulating and Praying in The Sacred Mosque
- Moving between Al-Safa and Al-Marwa
The First Deed of the Pleasure Minor Pilgrimage
Getting in the State of Ritual Consecration [ihram]
Get in the state of ritual consecration from one of the five places of ihram. The Lebanese pilgrims have been used to get in the state of ritual consecration from one of two places:
1- The Tree Mosque which is about eight km far away from Al-Madina Al-Mounawara
2- Al-Johafa, whether from inside or outside the mosque
The How of Getting in the State of Ritual Consecration for the Pleasure Minor Pilgrimage
Upon arriving at one of the places of ihram:
1- Wear the two cloths of ihram which are not sewn, with the intention to get close to The Most High God. As regards the women, they can get in the state of ritual consecration in their ordinary clothes. All the conditions applied on the clothes of the prayer are applied on the clothes of getting in the state of ritual consecration (for both men and women).
2- Intend to perform the minor pilgrimage and get in the state of ritual consecration for it. If you are performing pilgrimage on your own behalf for the first time as a duty, then intend by saying, “I get in the state of ritual consecration for the pleasure minor pilgrimage from the pleasure pilgrimage from Islam pilgrimage on my own behalf as a duty for the sake of getting close to The Most High God.” (It is not a must to utter the intention.)
3- Respond to God’s call by saying, “I am at Your Service. O my God, I am at Your Service. I am at Your Service. There is no partner to You. I am at Your Service.” It is a desirable caution to add, “Praise, grace, and kingdom are to You. There is no partner to You. I am at Your Service.”
At this, you become in the state of ritual consecration. Ten, certain things become forbidden to you; they are called “Ihram Forbiddances”.
What Are the Ihram Forbiddances?
They are three parts.
Common Forbiddances between Men and Women
1- Hunting the wild animal
2- Sexual enjoyment (intercourse, masturbation, looking desirously, touching desirously)
3- Holding a marriage contract for its own sake or for any other cause
4- Perfuming (use of perfume)
Then, it is forbidden to perfume:
- the body
- the cloth
And it is forbidden:
- to wear a cloth with perfume on it
- to eat what has perfume in it, such as: saffron
- as a desirable caution to smell the flowers or the sweet smelling vegetables and fruits
5- to use an eyeliner if it is considered as an ornament
There is no difference between the black color and the other colors in the forbiddance of the usage of the eyeliner that is considered as an ornament.
6- Looking in the mirror with the intention of ornamenting
It is permissible to look in:
- the glossy bodies which reflect the picture
- the pure water
7- Dissipation (lying/ abusing/ boasting)
8- Argumentation i.e. saying, “By God, No. By God, Yes” whether the one arguing is honest or lying
It is permissible to argue for necessity.
9- Killing the pests of the body (the lice and the like)
10- Ornamenting (putting on the ring or the eyeglasses with the intention of ornamenting/ using the henna)
It is forbidden to use the henna for the sake of ornamenting. It is also cautious that it is forbidden to be used even if it is not for the sake of ornamenting yet it looks like ornament.
- It is permissible to use the henna before getting in the state of ritual consecration.
- It is permissible to wear the ring for the sake of gaining reward from God and not for the sake of ornamenting.
11- Anointing the body
It is permissible to anoint the body:
- before getting in the state of ritual consecration under the condition that its smell does not last till after it
- in the case of necessity
It is permissible to eat the non perfumed grease while it is forbidden to eat the perfumed one.
12- Removing the hair from the head or the body, whether by shaving or all the ways of hair removal even by the limestone mixed with arsenic
The one in the state of ritual consecration is forbidden to remove the hair, whether it is a lot or a few:
- from the body
- from the others’ body even if not being in the state of ritual consecration
There is no problem with the falling of the hair during the ablution or the washing without the intention of removal.
13- Taking blood out of the body
It is forbidden to take the blood out of the body whether by:
- the medical injection
- cleaning stick for tooth [Souwak]
- any other way
It is permissible to take out the blood from the body for necessity, such as: diagnosis of disease.
14- Clipping the fingernails
There is no difference as regards the forbiddance of clipping or cutting the fingernails:
- between the fingernails of the hand or those of the foot
- between the scissor, knife, or clipper
15- Plucking out the tooth with bloodening
It is permissible to pluck out the tooth when it is necessary.
16- Plucking out the trees and the grass growing in the Sanctuary
As regards the forbiddance of plucking out the trees and the grass growing in the Sanctuary, it is excluded:
- the tree or the grass planted by the pilgrim himself
- the palm and fruit trees
- a plant called lemon grass [athkhir] which is characterized by thin branches and small leaves
- the plant cut due to the common walking
17- Carrying weapons
Forbiddances Related to Men Only
1- Wearing what is sewn
It is forbidden to wear:
- the buttoned clothes whose buttons are linked
- the sewn shirt
- the sewn underwear
It is permissible to wear:
- the hamayan i.e. the belt that is tightened on the middle of the man and that is designed to carry and protect the money
- the sewn clothes when it is necessary, yet there is a penance that must be paid
- what is needed, such as: the artificial hand that is connected to sewn belts, and the like
2- Wearing what covers the surface of the foot
The one in the state of ritual consecration is forbidden to wear sockets.
The one in the state of ritual consecration may wear something that covers some of the surface of the foot and not all of it.
3- Covering all the head customarily
The one in the state of ritual consecration is forbidden to:
- put the head completely in the water
- cover a part of the head by wearing a hat
The one in the state of ritual consecration is permitted to:
- cover his head with his hand
- come under the mosquito net
- stand under the washing shower
- cover his face
- cover the head with the towel under the condition that it doe not require covering the whole head
- use the head bandage for headache
4- Shading over the head throughout the distance during the day
The one in the state of ritual consecration is, as a dutiful caution, forbidden to shade himself with the moving shade, such as: the roofed car or the umbrella:
- after arriving to Makka and before carrying out the rituals of the minor pilgrimage
- after getting in the state of ritual consecration of the pilgrimage in the case of walking from Arafat to Al-Mouzdalifa and from Al-Mouzdalifa to Mouna
- in the case of walking inside Arafat and Mouna
- coming under the shade in the rainy and cold nights
The one in the state of ritual consecration is permitted to shade:
- by putting his hand over his head
- by what comes to be over the head, such as walking beside the bus or the wall
- by the bridge throughout walking and covering the distance during the day
- by the gas stations during the stops
- during covering the distances and walking in the non rainy or cold nights
Forbiddances Related to Women Only
1- Covering the face with a veil or a yashmak (a piece of cloth with which the woman covers her face) and the like
The woman in the state of ritual consecration is permitted to:
- put her face on the pillow during sleeping
- put her hand on her face
- cover some of the face under the condition that it does not require covering it all
- let the aba or the cloth down over her face in order to cover it from the marriageable men
- use the mask
2- Putting on the jewels which are ornaments if she does not intend to wear them for the sake of ornamenting
The woman in the state of ritual consecration is permitted to put on the jewels she used to wear before getting in the state of ritual consecration, yet she is forbidden to show them for others even her husband.
The deeds of pilgrimage are followed by an illustrative appendix about the forbiddances while being in the state of ritual consecration. (Refer to Page 53)
The Second Deed of the Pleasure Minor Pilgrimage
Enter The Sacred Mosque in the state of ritual consecration and circumambulate.
The How of Circumambulation
1- Stand beside The Black Stone, whether near to it or far away from it, taking in consideration that Al-Kaaba be to your left, so that you will not give Al-Kaaba your front or back.
2- If you are performing pilgrimage on your own behalf
for the first time as a duty, then intend by saying, “I circumambulate around Al-Kaaba for the pleasure minor pilgrimage from the pleasure pilgrimage from Islam pilgrimage on my own behalf as a duty in order to get close to The Most High God.” (It is not a must to utter the intention)
3- Circumambulate seven times (rounds) around The Noble Kaaba, starting and ending each round with The Black
Stone and taking in consideration that The Noble Kaaba be to your left during circumambulation.
Conditions of Circumambulation
During circumambulation, consider the following conditions:
1- Purity from the great and little ritual impurity*: For circumambulation is not accepted from the one still in ritual impurity due to sexual intercourse, the woman in menstruation, or the one who have produced an excrement. And here, there is no difference among the one acquainted with the rule, ignorant of it, or having forgotten it.
2- Purity of the body and the cloth
3- Covering the private parts [awra] as indicated in the duty of praying
4- The circumambulator, whether a man or a boy, must be circumcised.
5- Performing the rounds of the circumambulation consecutively i.e. not to separate them in a way that makes it seem more than one circumambulation
6- The circumambulation must be outside Ismael’s (God’s peace bestowed upon him) Stony Area.
7- Not walking on the basis of Al-Kaaba [Shathoran]
* The great ritual impurity is the one that requires a whole washing.
* The little ritual impurity is the one that requires ablution.
The Third Deed of the Pleasure Minor Pilgrimage
The Circumambulation Prayer
After circumambulation, perform the two bows of circumambulation. If you are performing the pilgrimage on your own behalf for the first time as a duty, intend by saying, “I perform the prayer of the circumambulation of the pleasure minor pilgrimage from the pleasure pilgrimage from Islam pilgrimage on my own behalf as a duty in order to get close to The Most High God.”
The How of the Circumambulation Prayer
It is made up of two bows as is the case with the morning prayer. It is permissible to lower or raise the voice during it, and it has no call for prayer nor setting up for it.
The Place of the Circumambulation Prayer
Perform it behind Ibrahim’s (God’s peace bestowed upon him) Shrine and close to it without crowding with the others. If you could not do this, perform it behind the shrine even if far away from it. Even more, if you could not do this, perform it anywhere in The Sacred Mosque.
The Fourth Deed of the Pleasure Minor Pilgrimage
Having finished moving between Al-Safa and Al-Marwa, cut a little from the fingernail, the hair of the head, the beard, or the moustache.
Place of Shortening
It has no specific place; it can be performed in Al-Marwa or anywhere in Sacred Makka.
After shortening, everything that was forbidden during the state of ritual consecration becomes permissible.
It is forbidden to shave the head before the slaughtering of the offering on the day of the Great Bairam.
The women’s circumambulation is not dutiful during the pleasure minor pilgrimage, and it becomes permissible after doing with the pleasure minor pilgrimage (i.e. after shortening) and before starting with the deeds of pilgrimage.
* Book: How To Perform Pilgrimage?. Produced and Published by: Al-Maaref Islamic Cultural Association. First Edition: October 2007 A.D/ 1428 of Immigration