Imam Baqir obviously became martyr in the Hesham- Ibn- Abdolmalek’s era. Because Hesham’s kingdom started from 105 to 125 A.H and according to the historians the year of Imam’s martyrdom was in 118 A.H. Considering the cruel behaviors of Hesham toward Imam Baqir and the undeniable animosity of the Omavids toward Imam Ali’s progeny, there is no doubt that Hesham had an effective role in Imam’s martyrdom in a secret manner.
To wish for actualization of his plots, Hesham took the advantage of his trustees. He employed Ibrahim- Ibn- Valid who was from Omavids and the enemy of the Holy Prophet’s Progeny. Ibrahim in turn paved the ground for another person who could be so close to Imam Baqir. He supplied him with all necessary facilities. This person was from Bani Hashem’s tribe and he could put the treacherous plot into practice and led to Imam’s martyrdom.
The fruitful life
The life of Imam Baqir led to the valuable achievements for Islam and the most important of them are:
1. The fortification of the ideological principles and the religious beliefs of the Islamic society.
2. Criticizing and opposition toward the false beliefs and thoughts which had influenced on Muslims.
3. The development of the legal culture along with the Islamic rules.
4. Fighting with the incorrect methods of discretion and the analyzing the legal rules.
5. Training the brilliant students on the fields of jurisprudence , discourse and the ethical and social issues.
6. Leading the Shiite society toward the purely Islamic thoughts.
7. Avoiding the devastation of the Shiite formations under the pressure of the dictator style of the mavids.
8. The promulgation of the Politico-Ideological thoughts of the Shiites along with the policy of Taqiyeh which means concealing of one’s faith.
9. Providing the society with the practical models on praying, piety ,efforts and endeavors , science, ethics and the social activities.
The Reasons of Imam Baqir’s Imamate
For surveying the Imamate of Imam Baqir, we can refer to the followings:
1. The narrations of the Holy Prophet on introducing the 12 Imams for guiding people after his era.
2. The narrations, which originally belonged to the holy prophet and were retold later, especially devoted to Imam Baqir’s Imamate.
3. Jaber Ibn Abdollah Ansari’s certifying on Holy Prophet’s good tiding informing that Imam Mohamed Baqir would be born.
4. Imam Sajjad’s clear explanation on Imam Mohamed Baqir’s Imamate.
5. Imam Baqir’s own words about his own Imamate and continuing the path of Imamamt till the end, which would be the twelfth Imam.