The holy shrine of Hadrat Abdul Azim (A.S.) like the other great and well known shrines initially consisted of a burial chamber building but gradually during later centuries other buildings and appendices were added and this vast-complex-consisiting of the holy shrines, mosques, and other related buildings such as the two tombs of Imam zadeh Hamzah (A.S.) and Imam zadeh Taher (A.S.) were created. They were renovated by Muhammad son of Zayd Daei Alavi in the mid-third century. The northern side was first renovated by Buwayhids and then was decorated by Majd-ul-Mulk Qummi.
The lower part of the holy shrine is quadrilateral (square) in shape with 8 meters on its each side and like other Seljukian buildings four sloping barrel vaults were created on the four corners forming an octagonal structure in the upper side. In this octagonal part sixteen sided small vaults were made in order to create a cupola (dome).
The interior of the dome is decorated with exquisite mirror works. The dome is completely covered with golden tiles. The dome was previously in conical shape and was modified on the orders of Shah Tahmasab Safavi (ruled 930-984A.H.). In the month of Muharram 944A.H., Shah Tahmasab Safavi ordered the building of the first portico of the holy shrine and the later Safavid monarchs constructed the main courtyard, a mosque in northern part, the veranda, Balasar Mosque and the Women's Mosque in the north-west of the holy shrine.
During the Qajar era between 1211-1250 A.H., the silver zarih was placed on the grave of Hadrat Abdul Azim (A.S.) which was made by master craftsmen Ustad Ghulam Hussein Eglima and Haj Muhammad Sane'i Khatam. In the period between 1299 to1320 (Solar Hijrah)during Qajar era glazed tile decoration, mirror works, installing decorated doors, inlaid works and renovation of the holy shrine and its buildings as well as the construction of towering minarets was carried out.
The oldest work found in the present building of the shrine are the bricks over the door which were made in Seljukian era by Majd al-Mulk Qummi in the years 495-498 A.H. With the existence Seljukian era works it can be concluded that the building of the holy burial chamber was built even before the fifth century hijrah and probably it was built in the period between the fourth and the fifth century hijrah.
The old door of the holy burial chamber was made in 945 A.H., and the iron door present in the chamber probably belongs to fifth century hijrah are the other historical works. The date of the building 945 A.H., is written in Thulth inscription on the mosaic tile in white color in a dark blue background decorated with colorful flowers and bushes of arabesque (Eslimi) pattern.
The building of the bazaar, the new courtyard, the chambers and balconies around the new courtyard, the grand mirror balcony and the two big shoe-keeping chambers around it, the Amin Sultan seminary building were built in the north-eastern side of the courtyard during the Qajar reign. Jerian garden was laid in the west of the holy shrine, Tuti garden in the west of the grand courtyard and finally the burial chamber building and the big dome of Imam zadeh Taher (A.S.) and the basic changes in the shrine of Hadrat Abdul Azim (A.S.) were also accomplished in the Qajar era.
The Imam zadeh Hamzah's tomb along with the shrine is approximately the same size as Hadrat Abdul Azim's holy shrine and is decorated with mirror works. The zarih made of silver was built in the Qajar period. The shrine consists of a big balcony in the eastern side and the Balasar Mosque is located in the south-west of Hadrat Abdul Azim's shrine and were built during the period of Shah Tahmasb Safavi. The main part of the grand courtyard was built in Naser al-Din Shah Qajar's era.
The buildings of the holy shrine of Imam zadeh Taher (A.S.) was built during Muzaffar al-Din Shah Qajar's reign in 1320 A.H., under the supervision of Zill ul-Sultan and the endeavors of Rida Quli Khan Siraj al-Mulk.
The Recent Grand Expansion Project
After the victory of the Islamic Revolution there has been great increase in the numbers of pilgrims visiting the holy and the need for the creation of more pilgrimage spaces, welfare and cultural facilities for the pilgrims was greatly felt. With the appointment of Hojjat al- Islam Wal Muslimeen Muhammadi Ray Shahri as the chief reverend custodian of the holy shrine, the Grand Expansion Project to greatly expand the pilgrimage spaces in the holy shrine was implemented as a national development plan. This great expansion project have been successfully implemented in an area of 120000 sq.metres.
The College of Hadith Sciences
This college is a non-profit and non governmental higher education institute which have been built on a area of 20000 sq.metrs. The college provides wide range of educational and welfare facilities. Hadith Sciences faculty, specialization library in hadith sciences, manuscript library, computer centre, language lab, astronomy and observatory center consisting of an educational telescope, seminar halls, sport complex, dormitory, dining halls and cafeteria. The ''Science Hall'' of the college have been built on an area of 500 sq metres and consists of the main display room and waiting hall. The ''Science Hall'' is equipped with a planet atrium and the astronomy center.
The Great Mosalla (Public Prayer Place)
This vast building built on an area of 8000 sq metres to provide a suitable and permenant place to hold the Friday and daily congregational prayers and other religious functions and ceremonies. Its architecture is the blend of Islamic and modern architectural styles and enjoys the creativities of the tile-workers, masons, artisans and calligraphers in its decorations. It also consists of two Shabistans (prayer halls) one for men and the other for women.
In order to connect the holy shrine of Hadrat Abdul Azim (A.S.) and Hadrat Hamzah (A.S.) to Imam zadeh Taher's shrine and providing easier accessibility to these holy shrines, a veranda as wide as 1266 sq.metres named "Bayn al- Haramyn" (between the two shrines) was built in the eastern part of the holy shrine of Hadrat Abdul Azim (A.S.) in 1995. Administration building housing the office of the the custodian of the holy shrine was also built to centralize the activities of different offices of the holy shrine. Another building was constructed in the south-west of the complex in an area of 5300 sq. metres providing work rooms, parking lots, function and prayer halls, dining rooms,etc.
The project of function halls has been built on a area of 5800 sq.metres in two floors, one in the ground floor known as "Shaikh Sadooq Auditorium" and the one in the basement called "Shaikh Kulaini Auditorium" with the capacity of 600 and 300 persons respectively along with its lateral rooms.
The Public Relations Building
It is located in the eastern side of the complex built in an area of 5000 sq.metres. The Public Relations and International Affairs department is located in this building. There is also a small hall known as Andisheh Chamber where the religious gatherings of the youth are especially conducted.
The Courtyard of Imam zadeh Hamzah (A.S.)
This courtyard with an area of 1600 sq.metres was built in the southern part of the holy shrine in the grand development plan. The buildings such as the Custodians Office and the Shaikh Sadooq Auditorium chamber are attached to it.
The Courtyard of Imam zadeh Taher (A.S.)
This courtyard constructed on an area of 700 sq.metres is located in the eastern side of the holy shrine beside the old courtyard.
Library of the Holy Shrine
The authorities have established a library with all the needed facilities to preserve the rare manuscripts and provide educational and research facilities to the scholars and students. The library is supervised by expert and experienced staff.
At present there are 9000 members in the library of the holy shrine and others are allowed to use the facilities of the library. Documents needed for membership in the library.
1- A copy of a certificate place of work or residence
2- A photograph
3- 2000 Rials membership fee.
Note: Pilgrims and other non-member visitors of the holy shrine can use the library by presenting their identification card for a period of ten day.
Working Hours: The library is open throughout the year from 8 A.M to 8 P.M with no break.
For more information call: 0098-21-5657921 Extentions:399,396 and 547 Museum of the Holy Shrine Before the year 1994 the precious objects of the holy shrine were preserved in the treasury. In 1995 with the efforts of the honorable chief custodian of the holy shrine a hall was created in Bagh i- Tuti (Parrot Garden) adjoined to the holy shrine to display the precious objects for the pilgrims and interested visitors.
In 1996, in the ongoing development plan of the holy shrine this hall was demolished. The new museum building in three floors was constructed in the northern side of Mossalla courtyard and beside the Grand Mossalla occupying an area of 3000 square meters. The decoration, lighting, identification, selection of the precious objects was carried out by the researchers and experts of the holy shrine and the National Heritage Organization of Iran. This new museum building was opened to the public in the year 2002.
The precious objects exhibited in the new museum are as follows:
1- Coins from the Sassanid to Qajarid period
2- Doors belonging to the Seljukian and the Qajarid periods depicting exquisite wooden and inlaid works
3- Rare Manuscripts belonging to the early Safavid to end of Qajarid period.
4- The vestiges of the window with engraved metals.
5- Textiles belonging to the early Safavid to end of Qajarid period.
6- Calligraphy and painting on canvas and boards belonging to the early Safavid to end of Qajarid period.
7- Documents belonging to the early Safavid to end of Qajarid period.
8- Gold woven cover for the case of the holy grave of Hadrat Abdul Azim (A.S.) belonging to the Safavid period.
9- Rare Manuscript of the book Majalis al-Mumineen.
10- Handwritten manuscript of Nasser al-Din Shah Qajar reappointing Muhammad Hasan Qajar Itemad al- Saltanah as the press superviser.
11- Handwritten scroll in Nastaliq script dated 1140 A.H.
12- A pair of broadcloth curtains of the Qajarid era.
13- Iran gate of Seljukian era.
14- Raised gate of Halagu's mosque
15- Raised gate belonging to the Safavid era dated 918 A.H.
16-Precious wooden gate famous as Meddi dated 944 A.H.
17-Two sided engraved gate of Qajarid era.
18- Handwritten inscription in Nastaliq script dated 1219 A.H.
19-The case of holy grave of Hadrat Abdul Azim (A.S.)
20- Ziyarah (pilgrimage) script board gilded in Mehrabi design.
21- A exquisite copy of the Holy Qur'an.
22- A piece of metal inscription in Kufic script.
23- The seals of the holy shrine's custodian in different sizes.
The Museum is open to public and the entrance ticket is 500 Rials and 50 percent concession is given to the cultural and educational groups. Photography is allowed only by the permission of the museum authorities.
The Notables Buried in the Holy Shrine
Famous and great religious and literary personalities buried in the holy shrine
* Shaykh Abul Fatuh Razi, the famous exegetist of the Holy Qur'an and his famous work on interpretation of the Holy Qur'an have been published in Persian in 13 volumes. His tomb is located is eastern side of the holy mausoleum of Hadrat Abdul Azim (A.S.).
Other famous and great religious and literary personalities buried in the holy shrine are:
*Ayatullah Shahabadi *Ayatullah Thaqafi *Ayatullah Dhabiullah Mahallati *Ayatullah Kashani
*Ayatullah Mulla Ali Kani *Ayatullah Abdul Nabi Mujtahed Noori *Allamah Mirza Ahmad Ashtiani *Mir Sayyid Khalilullah *Shaykh Muhammad Baque Kamar'ei *Ayatullah Ithna Ashari *Ayatullah Rafi'ei*Allamah Muhammad Qazvini *Allamah Sha'rani *Allamah Abbas Iqbal Ashtiani *Hakim Qa'ani
*Allamah Sayyid Muhammad Kazem Assar *Jalal al-Din Muhaddith Armavi *Ustad Abdul Azim Qarib *Ustad Muhammad Taqi Falsafi *Badih az-Zaman Furuzanfar *Amir Firuzkuhi Tombs of National Figures
*Qaem Maqam Farahani *Sattar Khan *Shaykh Muhammad Khiyabani *Haj Tayeb Rida'ee *Haj Ismail Rida'ee