In the darkness of dawn as the holy Imam was leaving for Fajr prayers, the pet ducks made a lot of noise. They cackled loudly and got hold of his dress. The Holy Imam understood that they were crying for him as he was nearing death.
Once Imam Ali (A.S.) had asked the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his household); "What is the best deed in the Holy month of Ramadan?" The Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his household) answered:
"The best deed during the month of Ramadan is to keep away from evil deeds, which Allah has forbidden".
After that he burst into tears. Imam Ali (A.S.) was quite shocked and asked him why: The holy prophet (peace be upon him and his household) explained: "I am crying because I can see a terrible scene that will happen to you in this holy month. While in sajdah, the most criminal of criminals, will hit you on your head and your beard will be dyed red with your blood."
The Imam (A.S.) asked; "Shall I be on the right path?" The Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his household) answered; "Yes!"
It was on the nineteenth of Ramadan when Imam Ali (A.S.) proceeded to Masjid-e-Kufa. There he climbed up the minaret, recited the adhan (call to prayers). This was to wake up all those who were asleep and among them was Ibn Muljam who was hiding the poisonous sword while sleeping on his stomach.
As our Imam was leading the prayers, while in the 2nd sajdah, the killer got up and quickly removed the poisonous sword hitting the Imam on his head with a big blow. The Imam collapsed crying out "I swear by the Lord of Ka'bah, I have been successful."
Scared out of his wits, Ibn Muljam ran out of the mosque but was captured by a man from Hamadan. When he was brought before Amir al Mu'minin (A.S.) with his hands tied tightly, our merciful Imam ordered his sons to loosen the rope. He then advised them not torture him in any way and if he died from his wounds to deal with him justly. Our holy Imam asked Ibn Muljam: “Were I A BAD IMAM OR AN UNJUST RULER?”
Our holy Imam suffered greatly for three days and finally left this world on the 21st of the holy month of Ramadan in the year 40 (a.h.) and was buried in the holy city of Najaf in Iraq by his two sons Imam Hassan (A.S.) and Imam Hussein (A.S.) We can gain a lot from his knowledge, wisdom, worship, justice and many other good qualities. He loved children and took care of the needy and the orphans. Islam was truly reflected from this great man.
IMAM ALI (A.S.) THE UNIQUE IN MANY GOOD DEEDS
• He was the only man to be born in the holy Kabah (The house of God)
• He was the first to give bayy’at (allegience) to our Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his household)
• He was the first to offer prayers after the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his household)
• He was the only one to compile and classify the Holy Qur’an
• He was the only one to be known as “brother” by the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his household)
• He was the only one to give burial to the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his household)
• He was the only one to offer to sleep in the prophet’s bed on the night of migration to Medina.
• He was the first to be appointed commander in all those battles in which the holy prophet didn’t participate personally
He was the only man to be titled as the “Second Aaron” by the Prophet (peace be upon him and his household)